|Type||Privately held company|
New York City, New York, United States
|Revenue||US$2.8 billion (2016)|
|Owner||Koch Industries, as of February 4, 2020|
Number of employees
Infor is a multi-national enterprise software company, headquartered in New York City, United States. Infor focuses on business applications for organizations delivered via cloud computing as a service. Originally focused on software ranging from financial systems and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) to supply chain and customer relationship management, in 2010 Infor began to focus on software for industry niches, as well as user-friendly software design. Infor deploys its cloud applications through Amazon Web Services> and various open source software platforms.
Infor acquired over forty other software companies since its 2002 founding as Agilysis, for example acquiring GEAC ERP for US$1 billion, Lawson Software for US$2 billion, and GT Nexus for $675 million. Infor had around 58 million cloud users as of July 2016,< as well as around 90,000 corporate customers overall. Infor is active in 200 countries and territories with around 17,300 employees. Infor's customers included Bausch & Lomb, Ferrari, Heineken, Wyndham Hotels, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts, Boskalis, EBSCO, Legacy Health, The Madern Group and Best Western International.
- 1 History
- 2 Software
- 3 Programs and divisions
- 4 Acquisitions
- 5 Philanthropy
- 6 Accolades
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Founding and early acquisitions (2002–2009)
Infor was founded in June 2002 under the name Agilisys in Malvern, Pennsylvania. With 1,300 customers to start and a focus on enterprise software, the company was constructed through a series of acquisitions led by private equity backers Golden Gate Capital and Summit Partners. In December 2002, Agilisys International acquired Brain AG, followed by the acquisition of Future Three the following June. Agilisys moved its headquarters to Alpharetta in the Atlanta metropolitan area, and in February 2004 acquired Infor Business Solutions, a German company headquartered in Friedrichsthal (Saarland|Saar), Germany. Daly.commerce was acquired by Agilisys in early 2004. In September 2004, Agilisys changed its name to Infor Global Solutions. On October 20, 2004, Infor announced the acquisition of Lilly Software Associates and its VISUAL Enterprise (now referred to as VISUAL ERP) suite of products.
In February 2005, Infor acquired MAPICS for around US D$347 million, and subsequently acquired GEAC ERP in 2006 for US$1 billion. After a lawsuit filed in May 2006 attempted to halt SSA Global's merger with Infor unless certain shareholder demands were met, Infor later completed the purchase and integrated the company. Golden Gate’s early push for acquisitions resulted in Infor having 17,500 customers by the summer of 2006. Also that year, Infor began rewriting industry-specific applications into up-to-date .Net and Java-based application providers. In June 2009, Infor acquired SoftBrands (hotel, spa and entertainment business, because in August 14, 2006, The Softbrands Inc. acquired MAI Systems Corporation together with The LodgingTouch Property Management System of his Hotel Information Systems department) for US$80 Million.
New management and move (2010–2013)
After several acquisitions, in October 2010, Infor’s board of directors hired a new management team composed of four senior executives from Oracle, all four of whom joined Infor on the same day. Charles Phillips was appointed CEO, Pam Murphy was appointed chief operating officer (COO), and Duncan Angove and Stephan Scholl became co-presidents. Phillips established a new strategic direction as CEO. In order to gain market share on Oracle and SAP, Infor also focused on providing applications with user-friendly interfaces, while continuing to rewrite applications into new code. The company acquired ERP rival Lawson Software for US$2 billion in 2011. Infor launched its Infor10 line of products in September 2011. Within the products were the ION middleware suite and a new user interface.
In the summer of 2012, Infor relocated its headquarters from Alpharetta, Georgia to New York City, citing the availability of engineers and designers in “Silicon Alley,” investment in the technology educational sector by a consortium of universities, and the proximity to customers. With several hundred employees remaining in Georgia, Infor’s new "loft-style" offices at 641 Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan were designed with the intent of promoting "collaboration and transparency." "Infor acquired Groupe Laurier CIM in August 2012. On December 4, 2012, Infor announced it had acquired Orbis Global, which used a software as a service model for its marketing resource management software. Infor integrated Orbis Global's technology into its own customer experience product suite.
"Micro-vertical" focus and pivot to cloud (2013–2014)
After the 2010 management changes, Infor began specializing in "micro-verticals," purpose building its software to meet the needs of customers in niche industries. Arguing that similar businesses have similar software needs, CEO Phillips explained in January 2012 that the food and beverage industry, for example, is made up of smaller "micro-verticals" such as bakers, butchers, and breweries, each of which have unique needs. In contrast to many of its competitors, Infor designs software with the intent that companies can use the programs immediately, without consultation or customization. As of 2013, Infor continued to rework industry-specific applications from older software languages into more widely used .Net and Java programming languages. On April 2, 2013, Infor announced the acquisition of CERTPOINT Systems, a software as a service learning technologies company. On May 16, 2013, Infor acquired TDCI, Inc., and by late 2013, Infor had launched 300 new products and hired 1,500 new engineers since 2010. Among other companies, Infor acquired PeopleAnswers in January 2014. Advancements in cloud computing enabled Infor to integrate applications into suites for specific industries and sell them as a service. Infor debuted its Infor CloudSuite product, which is delivered exclusively through Amazon Web Services (AWS), in 2014. CloudSuite is designed to integrate software solutions intended for "micro-vertical" industries. Infor also formed partnerships with Red Hat and EnterpriseDB to offer an open-source PostgreSQL stack that year, and Infor's net income in 2014 equaled US$121.7 million.
GT Nexus acquisition (2015–2016)
|"Infor is the amalgamation of more than 40 software acquisitions brought together by private equity backers Golden Gate Capital and Summit Partners. Beginning in 2002, Golden Gate began assembling the company to provide the kind of nuts-and-bolts enterprise software that has proved one of the hottest sectors in tech. Under [CEO] Phillips, the company has surged. It now sells its wares to more than 70,000 corporations, including clients Bausch & Lomb, Ferrari, and Heineken."|
|— Fortune on August 15, 2015"|
The company saw around a 300 percent increase in service bookings in 2015, with revenue up that year up around 60 percent. By July 2015, Infor had around 45 million users signed up to use its cloud computing software.
On August 11, 2015, Infor announced its upcoming acquisition of GT Nexus for $675 million. At the time, GT Nexus was the world's largest cloud-based global commerce platform, with $100 billion of trade in direct goods conducted each year though its network. Explained Bloomberg, the acquired technology allows Infor customers to "leave elaborate business-management systems that run at headquarters untouched while supplying those clients’ plants with programs specialized by industry and delivered via cloud computing." Infor acquired Predictix in July 2016, at which point Infor related that it had "more than 58 million users" in the "Infor cloud."
Investment by Koch Industries (2017)
In February 2017, Koch Equity Development LLC invested $2.68 billion in Infor, for a 66.67% equity ownership stake in the company. Infor is valued at $10 billion, and has $6 billion of debt, most of which is publicly-traded.
Purchase by Koch Industries (2020)
In February 2020, Koch Equity Development LLC purchased full equity in Infor, buying out Golden Gate Capital's remaining equity. Infor is valued at $11 billion.
Since CEO Charles Phillips joined Infor in 2010, the company has focused on creating applications that result in a positive user experience, among other factors such as efficiency. Infor deploys its applications primarily on the Amazon Web Services cloud and open source platforms.
|Infor ION||Integration platform||Launched in 2011, Infor's Intelligent Open Network (ION) is an XML-based integration platform. It is described as "middleware" designed to help Infor customers integrate their Infor Enterprise Resource Planning systems with other Infor products, for example Infor's mobile and social media products Motion and Mingle. ION is also a component of Business Vault, Infor’s Windows-based analytics tool.|
|Infor Xi||Product line||Infor Xi refers "to the latest versions of Infor's premiere offerings," with user experiences designed by New York City professionals to give all of Infor's products a cohesive feel, as well as improve efficiency and integration between products. The first version of Infor Xi debuted in 2014 at Infor's Inforum user conference. Infor Xi is the technology platform underneath the new version of applications delivered by Infor now known as Infor CloudSuite Financials and Supply Chain Management .|
|Infor Mongoose||Application development framework||Infor Mongoose is an application development framework intended to allow customers to modify their Infor applications. The program is written such that users do not need to know programming languages or a source code. It can also be used to build applications, for example simple web components or more complex ERP systems.|
Infor provides an HCM suite that is used by customers in 78 countries, in addition to its ERP offerings. It supports numerous large organizations, with 60% of its customers having between 1,000 and 10,000 employees. Infor has a large healthcare and manufacturing customer base, with approximately 50% of its customers in these two industries. It also has a large customer base in the public sector. Infor customers have a presence in approximately 50 countries, and just over 20% of its customers are headquartered outside of North America. On its roadmap are several product updates including additional localizations for payroll, an adaptive testing platform for talent, and some scheduling and prioritization features for WFM.
Programs and divisions
Hook and Loop
Infor created Hook and Loop in 2012 as an internal creative agency of writers, designers, developers, and filmmakers, with the intent of designing user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing software. The Hook & Loop agency was established in New York City with the initial goal of building a new UI to work across the Infor 10x product line. With the overhaul dubbed “SoHo,” the goal was establishing a “holistic” user experience with a unified design. The agency was founded with five people, and by 2014 had 80 employees.
Infor Partner Network (IPN)
The Infor Partner Network (IPN) provides business services to customers using Infor products. In 2016, Infor stated it had 700 partners through the program, with 125 in North America. The program supports members of the "Infor Partner Network" in various ways, including training, certification, and funds. Products sold through the partner network include Infor CloudSuite Industrial and Infor CloudSuite Business. Partners also sell Infor ION and the social collaboration platform Infor Ming.le, as well as Infor ERP products for distribution and management, for example programs such as Infor SyteLine, Infor LN, Infor XA, Infor VISUAL, Infor M3, Infor Distribution SX.e, and Infor Distribution FACTS.
Infor formed alliances with companies such as HCL Technologies, in 2015.
Dynamic Science Labs
Infor Dynamic Science Labs is a team of scientists in Kendall Square on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) campus who are building applications using by predictive analytics and machine learning. The founder of this team and Infor's Chief Scientist is Dr. Ziad Nejmeldeen, a PhD from MIT, and an expert in data sciences. Infor Xi, the company’s platform for enterprise apps, is powered by Dynamic Science Labs.
Digital & Value Engineering
Infor’s value engineering organization helps customers identify, quantify, realize and measure tangible business value from the use of technology solutions. The program was formally set up in 2013 by Riaz Raihan, SVP, who came to Infor from SAP. By 2015, the team expanded its mandate to digital engineering. Infor Digital Engineering helps customers build and execute on digital strategies that included IoT, advanced analytics, artificial intelligence, cloud, mobile, social and machine learning.
Education Alliance Program
Infor’s Education Alliance Program allows college and university students to intern at the company. Student interns are placed on a team in an Infor department, with the opportunity to switch between departments.
|Acquisition number||Acquired company||Acquisition date||Specialty||Country of origin||Acquisition costs|
|50||Intelligent InSites||January 2020 ||Healthcare location-based services||United States|
|49||Alfa-Beta Solutions||December 2018||Hospitality services partner||Netherlands|
|48||GitLinks||October 2018 ||Open Source Risk Management||United States|
|47||Vivonet||September 2018||Hospitality solutions||Canada|
|46||Birst||Sep 2017||BI and Analytics||$||68||.5m|
|45||Ciber (Infor Practice)||May 2017||Consulting Services||$||15||.0m|
|44||Accentia Middle East||March 2017||Regional IT Supplier||Egypt||$||7||.7m|
|43||Starmount||July 2016||Retail software||$||62||.1m|
|42||Predictix||June 2016||Retail software||$||150||.0m|
|41||Merit Consulting Group||May 2016||Consulting Services||$||22||.1m|
|40||GT Nexus||August 2015||SCM||$||675||.0m|
|38||GRASP Systems||April 2014 ||Management for Healthcare|
|37||PeopleAnswers||January 2014||Talent management||United States||$||200||.0m|
|36||TDCI, Inc.||May 2013||Product Configuration Management solution|
|35||CERTPOINT Systems Inc.||April 2013||Learning Management Software (LMS)||US|
|34||Orbis Global||December 2012||Marketing Resource Mgt|
|33||Group Laurier||August 2012||Consulting Services||Canada|
|32||EasyRMS||June 2012||Revenue and Yield Management|
|31||SM-Plus by Single Source Systems, Inc.||November 2011||Service Management tools|
|30||ENXSUITE||October 2011||EPM for energy, greenhouse and sustainability||Canada|
|28||Lawson Software||April 2011||ERP||$||2,000||.0m|
|27||Enwisen||December 2010||HR case management and onboarding|
|26||Hotel PMS||September 2010||Property Management (PMS) for Hotels|
|25||Quirius||July 2010||Consultant/Professional Services|
|24||Bridgelogix||June 2010 ||Barcode Data Collection|
|23||SoftBrands||June 2009||FourthShift ERP; Property Management System for Casinos, assets of Hotel Information Systems (HIS)||US||$||80||.0m|
|22||ShipLogix||September 2007||Transportation Management|
|21||Hansen Information Technologies||May 2007||Public Sector ERP||United States||$100M|
|20||Workbrain||May 2007||ESS for Workforce Management||Canada||$227M|
|19||Profuse Group||February 2007||Consulting Services||Netherlands|
|18||Extensity||August 2006||Financial software|
|17||Systems Union Group||August 2006||Financial Software||UK|
|16||SSA Global Technologies||May 2006||ERP||$||1,400||.0m|
|15||Datastream Systems Inc.||February 2006||Asset performance management software|
|14||[[Geac Computer Corporation]||November 2005||ERP||$||1,000||.0m|
|13||Alpine Systems||September 2005||Channel partner for VISUAL|
|12||Formation Systems||August 2005||PLM|
|11||Intuita Holdings||July 2005||ERP|
|9||Mercia Software||January 2005||SCM|
|8||Lilly Software Associates (VISUAL Enterprise)||October 2004||ERP|
|6||NxTrend Technology||June 2004||SCM|
|4||Varial Software||March 2004 ||Financial software|
|3||Future Three||June 2003||ERP|
In 2013, the company was recognized as a ComputerWorld honors laureate for its work with Habitat for Humanity, partnering with the organization to provide software at free or reduced prices. Through Habitat for Humanity, Infor employees also participate in a Volunteer Build Program, Employee Giving Campaign, and Annual Global Village Build. Infor also sponsors the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's “Light the Night Walks” events, held in years such as 2012. Infor has furthermore supported the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) by funding its "A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Waste" event.
Infor has won a number of awards since its founding in 2002. The company has received several SIIA CoDie Awards, including the 2014 Best Healthcare IT Solution and Best Social Business Solution. In May 2015, Infor’s XTreme Support won a Confirmit ACE (Achievement in Customer Excellence Award) for the seventh consecutive year. In August 2015, Infor’s CloudSuite, Talent Science, and Ming.le Mobile products won People’s Choice for Favorite New Products at the Stevie Awards. In 2016, Plant Engineering named Infor’s EAM solutions as "Product of the Year" in the Energy Performance Management and the Maintenance Software categories.
- "A new era of marketing at Infor". Retrieved 28 December 2020.
- "Infor VISUAL ERP Solution, VISUAL business ERP Software". Synergy Resources. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Company Overview of MAI Systems Corporation". Hospitality Leader Online. Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
As of August 14, 2006, MAI Systems Corporation was acquired by Softbrands, Inc.
- "LodgingTouch Property Management System". Hospitality Leader Online. Hospitality Leader Online. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
Modules include Front Office Operations, Group Sales, Guest History, Accounts Receivable, Travel Agency and Yield Management.
- "Hotel Information Systems Company Profile". Hospitality Leader Online. Hospitality Leader Online. December 11, 2000. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
Hotel Information Systems, a division of MAI Systems Corporation
- Kanaracus, Chris (June 12, 2009). "Infor to Buy SoftBrands for $80 Million". IDG News Service. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
SoftBrands has anything you would need to run a hotel, spa and entertainment business
- "Koch Industries Pours $2.5 Billion into Business Software Maker Infor". Fortune. Retrieved 2020-04-27.
- "Koch Buys Rest of Infor in Deal Valuing Software Maker at $11 Billion". February 2020. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "INFOR XI Platform: A primer | Velocity Technology Solutions, Inc". velocitycloud.com. Archived from the original on 2017-07-04. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
- Magic Quadrant for Cloud HCM Suites for 1,000+ Employee Enterprises "Vendor Strengths and Cautions". Gartner. November 2020.
- Brooks, Steve (2020-01-15). "Did Infor buy Intelligent InSites just for Healthcare? -". Enterprise Times. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Infor. "Infor Acquires Alfa-Beta Solutions". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Cornell Tech - GitLinks Acquired by Infor". Cornell Tech. 2018-10-26. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Infor. "Infor Acquires Vivonet". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Is Buying This Business Intelligence Player To Take On Oracle". Fortune. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor acquires Ciber practice". Enterprisetimes.co.uk. 22 March 2017. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "Infor acquires Accentia Middle East". TahawulTech.com. 2017-03-21. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Gagliordi, Natalie. "Infor buys retail software maker Starmount". ZDNet. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "digibyte - Infor buys Predictix as it preps new retail solution". diginomica. 2016-06-27. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Gagliordi, Natalie. "Infor buys Norwegian consulting firm Merit Globe AS". ZDNet. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor to Acquire GT Nexus | Infor". www.infor.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Enters Cloud CRM Market with Agreement to Acquire Saleslogix | Infor". www.infor.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Completes Acquisition Of GRASP Systems International". www.healthitoutcomes.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires PeopleAnswers: New Twist to Continuing Trend in ERP and HCM |". Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Completes Acquisition of TDCI, Inc. | Infor". www.infor.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Kanaracus, Chris (2012-12-04). "Infor acquires Orbis Global to boost its marketing software clout". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor acquires Groupe Laurier". Industrial Supply Magazine. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Buys Cloudy Software Company Easy RMS". IT Jungle. 2012-06-18. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Acquisition of product lines from Single Source Systems will provide greater service management for companies that deal with high-value assets". Supply and Demand Chain Executive. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Manufacturing Management - Infor acquires ENXSuite for sustainability offerings". www.manufacturingmanagement.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Lawson Software Buys Approva for Governance Tech". PCWorld. 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Lawson Software for $2 Billion". IndustryWeek. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "News". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Amadeus Sells off PMS Hotel Division". Hospitality Technology. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Quriusâ€™ ERP LN Operations!". ERP Software Comparison. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "StackPath". www.mhlnews.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Snaps Up SoftBrands, Gets i OS-Based Hotel Suite". IT Jungle. 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Expands Its Transportation Offerings With ShipLogix Acquisition". Gartner. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- www.bizjournals.com https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2007/05/14/daily18.html. Retrieved 2021-03-08. Missing or empty
- Martens, China (2007-04-02). "Infor buys Workbrain for $227M". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "StackPath". www.industryweek.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Two More Software Companies". Modern Distribution Management. 2006-08-02. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Solheim, Shelley (2006-05-15). "Infor to acquire SSA Global". Computerworld. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor to Acquire Datastream". Automation World. 2006-02-01. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- Stacy Cowley (7 November 2005). "Equity firm buys Geac for $1B, Infor gets ERP software". Infoworld.com. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "Infor Adds 211 New Customers in Q1 FY2006". www.cimdata.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Formation Systems". Supply and Demand Chain Executive. 2005-08-29. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Intuita Holdings Ltd. | Manufacturing & Logistics IT Magazine". www.logisticsit.com. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Continues Acquisition Spree, Buys Mercia for Supply Chain Planning". Supply and Demand Chain Executive. 2005-01-11. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Infor Acquires Lilly Software Associates | Lane Memorial Library". www.hampton.lib.nh.us. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
- "Agilisys Continues Acquisition Spree with NxTrend". Supply and Demand Chain Executive. 2004-06-08. Retrieved 2021-03-08.