Hospital management system
A Hospital Management System (HMS) or hospital information system (HIS) is an element of health informatics that focuses mainly on the administrational needs of hospitals. In many implementations, a HMS is a comprehensive, integrated information system designed to manage all the aspects of a hospital's operation, such as medical, administrative, financial, and legal issues and the corresponding processing of services.
Hospital management systems provide a common source of information about a patient's health history. The system has to keep data in a secure place and controls who can reach the data in certain circumstances. These systems enhance the ability of health care professionals to coordinate care by providing a patient's health information and visit history at the place and time that it is needed. Patient's laboratory test information also includes visual results such as X-ray, which may be reachable by professionals. HIS provide internal and external communication among health care providers. Portable devices such as smartphones and tablet computers may be used at the bedside. Hospital management systems are often composed of one or several software components with specialty-specific extensions, as well as of a large variety of sub-systems in medical specialties from a multi-vendor market. Specialized implementations name for example laboratory information system (LIS), Policy and Procedure Management System, radiology information system (RIS) or picture archiving and communication system (PACS).
In the fast-paced world of healthcare, managing multi-speciality functions can be a daunting task. However, with a robust computer or web-based hospital management system software, different functions can be automated. It integrates all important processes related to patients, administrative staff and medical professionals to ensures timely patient care and quick diagnosis. Hospital management software helps in managing all-important operations of a healthcare unit, ranging from appointment booking to inventory management, billing and generating electronic medical record (EMR).
With the best hospital management system, admin staff and doctors can access patient data online to provide a quick diagnosis. Doctors can check treatment history and test reports of patients to make timely treatment decisions. At the same time, administrative professionals can update patient details online for future reference and fasten the billing process. With the automation of healthcare processes, different departments can work in an inter-connected manner towards providing optimum patient care and improving the turnover.
Must-have Features in HMS
The hospital management system organizes the stable functioning of daily tasks and interactions. This is a special tool to support the smooth operating of the software components that are vital for the clinic administration. The hospital records management software keeps a track of all the operations, stores the users’ data, performs its analysis and generates the reports. The medical institution is given the opportunity to collect its information in one place. It includes the patient and doctors’ records as well as the data concerning financial affairs, supply management, etc. Furthermore, it is only processed, classified and accessible for authorized users. The hospital database management system provides users with data security due to all regulations. Implementation of different functions empowers smooth and clear functionality.
A hospital management system software is designed for healthcare setups to manage all their operations. From administrative to financial and medical, every aspect can be managed with hospital management software. Let’s find out the most useful features of this software:
- Patient Management: From scheduling patient appointment to booking their registration, the hospital management system software helps with complete and long-term patient care. It also helps in maintaining patient records with respect to radiology, pharmacy and pathology lab results. Not to forget the consultation and diagnosis records of patients, which are all maintained electronically.
- Electronic Medical Records: Online hospital information system is useful for doctors, as it helps them check about patient appointments easily. Furthermore, doctors can analyse a patient’s medical case by accessing their medical history online. Also, lab reports and tests can be accessed electronically. If different doctors are working on a single case, they can collaborate and share insights through hospital management software.
- Medical Facilities Management: Hospital management system helps the administrative team of any healthcare set up to ensure a regular supply of medical equipment and facilities. It assists with the management of medical supplies along with blood bank inventory. And, all this can be done with minimal chances of human error.
- MIS Reports: Healthcare professionals use MIS reports for accessing in-depth insights regarding billing, revenue, medical services, and discharge summaries. These reports are also analyzed for monitoring performance of different departments.
- Payroll & Accounting: With the help of hospital management software, you can keep track of accounting processes such as purchases, payments and expenses for your healthcare setup. Expenses and payments can be managed and controlled across both, in-patient and out-patient departments to give a holistic picture. At the same time, it makes it easier to compute staff salary based on their leave and attendance data.
Advantages and benefits of using HMS
The implementation of hospital management system project provides the institution with different advantages that improve the service quality and efficiency. As mentioned above it is created for three groups of users: patients, hospital staff and management, and third-parties like drug suppliers and insurance companies. The interaction between them conveys the general performance. The benefits received by a certain group of users also positively influence the work of the others. Cooperation and communication are the fundamental requirements here.
Potential benefits of hospital management systems include:
- Efficient and accurate administration of finance, diet of patient, engineering, and distribution of medical aid. It helps to view a broad picture of hospital growth
- Improved monitoring of drug usage, and study of effectiveness. This leads to the reduction of adverse drug interactions while promoting more appropriate pharmaceutical utilization.
- Enhances information integrity, reduces transcription errors, and reduces duplication of information entries.
- Hospital software is easy to use and eliminates error caused by handwriting. New technology computer systems give perfect performance to pull up information from server or cloud servers.
- "Policy and Procedure Management Systems for Hospitals (2012)". PolicyStat LLC. 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Why a hospital management system is required".
- "HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FUNCTIONS".
- "Must-have Features in your Hospital Management System".
- "HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ADVANTAGES".
- "Hospital information systems definition given by US based". Consultant.com. Archived from the original on 2010-06-13. Retrieved 2012-04-15.